The Gloucester Food Hub aims at creating self-sustaining community. The Hub draws its strength from being a community-developed economic growth model with a focus on food production that:
• demonstrates the conversion of underutilised land into valuable agricultural land;
• provides local jobs;
• offers support for existing local farmers;
• encourages start-ups of entrepreneurial food producers;
• helps stop the drain of young local workers to the cities;
• offers opportunities to tree-changers escaping from those cities;
• provides income-generating opportunities for rural residents of any age;
• allows a connection point between rural food producers and urban dwellers to access nutritious fresh food with low food miles.
As individuals and as a group, our guiding philosophy is:
• Show honesty, integrity and motivation;
• Promote the benefits of nutritious, seasonally grown food;
• Protect waterways and aquifers to ensure supplies of clean fresh water;
• Build soil by increasing its organic content and nurturing soil organisms;
• Encourage use of open-pollinated plants, heritage varieties and seed-saving;
• Ensure biodiversity of food, farm life and wildlife;
• Avoid use of artificial pesticides, herbicides and genetically modified organisms;
• Use renewable resources and recycled materials, and minimise non-reusable waste;
• Be open to new ideas, build our knowledge and share it.
GARDENS: Summer: 6.30am - 11.30am Monday to Friday; Winter: 7.30am - 12.30pm; other times by appointment
FARMGATE SHOP: Fridays: 10.00am - 12.30pm; Sundays: 11.00am - 1.30pm.